I thought I had it all. Peach Ice Cream, Peach Syrup, peaches galore. Until the other night. All that changed. And here is how it happened. After the last U-Pick we were hearing some scuttle around the water tank that at the end of the day, the larger “best” peaches were picked through. That got us thinking. What to do with some of the smaller, still ripe, but harder peaches? We have three options the best I see it.
- Leave them on the tree and wait for them to get riper (but who likes waiting).
- Leave them on the tree and hope the bees don’t get them (bees love peaches).
- Pick the small ones and turn them into something grand.
Fortunately for the community and our bellies, we choose option three. We picked dozens of smaller peaches after the town folks left the bare acre to see what we could do with them. And we turned them into the best peach pie you’ll ever taste.
- Organic Peaches (6 Cups)
- Sugar (1/2 Cup White, 1/4 Cup Brown)
- 1/2 tsp of Nutmeg and Cinnamon
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- Gramcracker crust (Make it yourself with crumbs, butter, and sugar)
- Step 1: Combine Peaches & Sugar and let sit for a while (look for juice).
- Step 2: Combine nutmeg, cinnamon, peach and lemon juice, and butter and bring to boil.
- Step 3: Combine peaches and your cinnamon sauce and put it into your pie crust.
- Step 4: Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- Step 5: Serve immediately
That’s it. Pretty simple recipe making the best peach pie you’ll ever have. And the best part is, any of those leftover peaches that got a little too ripe, a little bruised, or not quite ripe enough are the best peaches to use in a pie like this. Enjoy!
Side note, you can learn more about picking our Organic U-Pick peaches from our Homan Farms Facebook Page!